All posts by admin

Kinvara Community Council Meeting Wednesday 18th Oct. 2015.

Minutes:
the minutes from the previous meeting in June and the Any other business notes from the AGM in September were read.

Kinvara Pier:
Anne Korff said that she and a local group are drawing up a list of the items on the Harbour area that should be conserved and replaced if removed. They hope to draw up a plan for the Harbour area. Richard suggested that an existing Pier group including Declan Connolly and Pat McMahon should be consulted. Gerhard said that the Pier shouldnt become a carpark. Anne will report back to the next meeting.

Cars speeding at the Ballyvaughan entrance to Kinvara:
Gerhard said this item was discussed at the June meeting and that a letter should be sent to the County Council and copied to Cllr Joe Byrne and Fergal Fahy the local Area Engineer requesting action on this problem. Gerhard said that he understood that footpaths had to be present at a location where Traffic calming is placed. James said that the hill at Nallys Lane should be lowered to improve lines of sight. Maria suggested rumble strips as at country schools.

Signage on the Pier:
Maria said that the Tidy Towns group were considering asking Gordon Darcy to paint a board with the local birds and plants which would be mounted at the green area by the Pier. James suggested asking the OPW to put up a sign. He said they are much better now. He said there is one in Carran. Maria said the Tidy Towns would consider the suggestions and discuss again before any action.

Community Radio:
Gerry proposed setting up a Community Radio in Kinvara. He said that he can do the technical aspects, studio etc as he has previous experience. It would be available on line as well. There is grant aid available for local radio set ups. Nationally 9% of the licence fee is dedicated to Community Radio. It would be run by local people and can be a business. The blend Gerry suggests would be 60% news and 40% music. People will be needed to present the programmes and a studio space is needed. Eilish said she would help and John said he thinks there is definitely an appetite in Kinvara for this. Richard suggested the Community Council give the use of the Front Office as a studio. John Mc Donald said that one of the Coaches at Kinvara Utd was very involved in the Gort Radio which is now closed and he might help. John will also talk to Mary Ruddy who was involved in Connemara Radio. Gerry said there is a national support group called CRAOL who will help. Gerry said the licence costs hundreds and its better to start small. It was suggested that a small steering group would meet and they would then organise a public meeting to ensure the community are involved. The small group meeting is set for Thursday 5th November.

Cllr Joe Byrne then addressed the meeting:
Replying to the issues he said that the Pier is a protected structure and a report exists to improve the area but it is costly. The light at Berminghams is ordered and will be erected. Joe said that he is often contacted about the safety of boats being stored on
the Pier. John summarised that we would contact the Heritage Officer and ask for guidance about conserving the Pier area.
Joe also addressed the issue of speeding and said that the school were looking at ways of improving the drop off area. He said that he would ask the Gardai to monitor traffic at the entrances to Kinvara and Ballindereen. NRA approval has to be got for any changes on this road.
Joe reported that monies were allocated to the Creche to upgrade the Preschool.
He also reported that local people should be thanked for allowing paths to be built along the road to the GAA and to Crushoa donating their land.
Pam suggested that people should go in a wheelchair around Kinvara to see how bad the paths are. Joe said that the Brothers of Charity should be working with the Community Council on the issue of accessibility.
Joe said that monies would be available for signage through the Rural Economic Development fund for Kinvara and that KCC and Tidy Towns should be involved in this. Signs will be standardised throughout the Burren Lowland areas.
The N67 will be going to planning shortly and 8 objections have been made to Bord Pleanala. James said that there is a timber and post rail going up his lane within 1.5metres of St Colmans Well and cross.

Any other business:
Pam brought up KAVA and the Courthouse. She said the group want to spend a substantial amount of money on lighting and heating so that they can display their art work. The report by the Conservation Architect was examined which suggested that a lot of structural problems existed. Many people suggested correcting the structural problems first but Pam said that KAVA were keen to get on with their displays. She asked if KCC would specifically assist meeting Fr David to ask the Churchs help with the major works. Joe suggested applying for grant aid and having all the information ready as the grants are usually announced in the new year with short notice.

The next meeting of Kinvara Community Council will be held on Wednesday 25th November at 8.30pm.

Community Council Minutes 15-04-15

KINVARA COMMUNITY COUNCIL MEETING 15TH APRIL, 2013

 

ATTENDING;

John Mulleady

John Connolly

Gerhardt Terpelle

Angela Geoghegan

Emer O’Donnell

Dominic Gallagher

Eilish Kavanagh

Cillian Kanny

Richard Broad

Maria Hannigan

 

Agenda;

  1. Tidy Town

Maria noted a number of posters around Kinvara remain in place long after the event they promote has passed (in one case over 2 years).  Judging for Tidy Towns competition takes place during summer months.  Maria will put note in Newletter requesting the removal of old posters and more appropriate placement of others.

 

 

  1. Reception for Mexican Ambassador

Frank Hall KAM will be co-ordinating visit from Mexican Ambassador on the Friday of the Cuckoo weekend.  He requested that K.C.C. assist in sponsoring reception in pier head.  KCC declined to provide any finances towards the visit. Maria Dominic will liaise with Maura O’Keefe with regard to combining this in conjunction with the opening of the Cuckoo weekend.

 

  1. Cuckoo Fun Run

This year funding will be in support of Kinvara Crèche.  Crèche committee are organising family oriented events at Community centre in conjunction with Fun Run.  Volunteers are being sought.  Dominic will email parents in this regard.

 

  1.      4.    Bay Walk Project

K.C.C. met with K.B.N. to see if it was possible to get the Bay walk project as a discovery point on the Wild Atlantic Way.  John contacted Bord Failte to be notified that the 15 discovery points identified for further development have been assigned and Kinvara is not one of them.  John was advised by Bord Failte the best way to progress the project was through the local council engineer and was advised to contact Westport’s engineer where a similar project was developed at a cost of approx. €1,000 per linear metre.

 

John will contact Shannon Development/Enterprise Ireland (operators of Dunguaire Castle) with regard to funding this walk as a gesture to our community.

 

  1.  Heritage Group

Maria advised that Surveyor of St. Coman’s has been paid €400 for work.

John will contact John Britton regarding report.  When same is completed G.R.D. will be approached for funding to preserve site.

 

  1. Heritage Trail Map and Guide

This will be launched at Dunguaire next Thursday, 23rd April, time to be finalised.  Michael Fitzsimon (Bord Failte will attend).  Bord Failte have created a facility on their website through which local business can advertise.

 

  1. Community Support Application for CCTV

John advised that this has been unsuccessful but may be applied for again next year.  CCTV required for dancing licence.  Other requirements for a dance licence include Fire Safety Report (€250); Dance Licence application to the court (€450) plus Solrs fees.  John will contact the organisers of dances at Ballinderreen Hall to see what they do in this matter.

 

AOB

K.C.C. is providing use of hall facilities to Eilish for use during Heritage week for related events.

 

Maria requested clarification regarding public liability insurance during Fun Run.  Richard confirmed that this is in place.

 

 

NEXT MEETING WEDNESDAY, 20TH MAY, 2015, AT 8.30 P.M.

KINVARA COMMUNITY CENTRE

 

 

 

Community Council Minutes 19th March

KINVARA COMMUNITY COUNCIL MEETING 19TH MARCH, 2015

 

Attending;

Maria Hannigan

Paddy Neylon

Pam Fleming

Gerhart Terpelle

Michael Murphy (K.C.C.C.)

Annette Finnegan (K.C.C.C.)

Fiona Murphy (K.C.C.C.)

James Linnane (K.C.C.C.)

Lynn O’Keefe

James Hastings

Cllr Joe Byrne

Angela Geoghegan

Emer O’Donnell

 

Maria Hannigan, acting Chair opened meeting. Minutes of last meeting were read and passed. Matters arising included;

Funding for CCTV – Application has been submitted to G.C.C. Awaiting reply.

 

 

Farmers Market;

Difficulties arising regarding permission from G.C.C. to use Market Square. Letters have been sent from K.C.C. and members of the public in support of market.

 

KAVA – use of Courthouse;

KAVA met with Youth Cafe group re sharing of premises. Letter of permission will be forwarded to KAVA from K.C.C. Lease of Courthouse concludes in September – and will be renewed through K.C.C.

 

Award to Tony Moylan;

Suggestions included – letter from President, portrait, bench. Arrangements are being made for portrait.

 

Report from Cllr Byrne;

Cllr Byrne congratulated KAVA for their ongoing exhibition in Gort.

Will assess public liability insurance for Tus workers to ensure same is adequate.

Tenders for Sewage Scheme should be returned by end of March.

Contracts for scheme should be signed by end of April. Work to commence in September.

 

Cllr Byrne advised that Kinvara is one of ten villages in Galway awarded 250,000 for roads/footpaths/traffic calming/pedestrian crossing. Plans for same will be developed over next few months. Funding has been secured for Northampton, Ballyclera, Traught, Ardrahan Road, Kinvara/Ballinderreen area. Car parking facilities in Kinvara also being addressed and site for public toilets has been acquired.

 

Footpath for Creche;

K.C.C.C. Representatives outlined difficulties and expenses arising from the lack of adequate footpaths between the Creche and primary school. Cllr Byrne will visit the Creche and liaise with Committee towards creation of footpath.

 

Doorus orchard;

Doorus orchard is located in the grounds of the former de Basterot dwelling, now owned by An Oige. As the dwelling is now unused suggestions are invited for possible uses of the venue, pending permission from An Oige.

 

Cuckoo Fun Run;

This year’s Fun Run will be in support of the Kinvara Community Children’s Centre.

 

A.O.B.

Littering is becoming more of a problem in and around Kinvara. There is no excuse for it, other than a lack of intelligence. Litter causes and spreads disease, it affects drainage and waste water systems, it is hazardous to animals and it has a negative impact on local industry, which relies heavily on tourism. We are fortunate to live in a beautiful place, please keep it that way. Take responsibility for your own mess.

 

Next meeting of K.C.C. – Wednesday, 15th April at 8.30p.m in Kinvara Community Centre